Sunday, November 27, 2011

Oasis!

I wasn't going to post again so soon, but I wanted to share briefly about the oasis that I just experienced in the Kathmandu valley. It's a children's home that I have known about and been indirectly connected with (through friends who have been there multiple times) for years. It is outside of the city, about 45 minutes by bus. I went there yesterday and spent the night. What a breath of fresh air, in so many ways! Very literally, the air is much fresher and cleaner. You won't find the pollution of the city out there - it is rural, much cleaner and greener, and much more peaceful than the city. At night-time, instead of all the city noises I've been trying to get used to sleeping through, all I could hear was the sound of water running through the nearby irrigation ditch. And during the day, you can hear children's voices, but that's it. Compare that to my apartment in Kathmandu, where right now, I'm hearing a plane flying overhead, construction noises, some sort of children's choir practice at the school close-by (at the moment they're singing the Nepali national anthem...jaya jaya Nepala!), honking, dogs barking, a really annoying bird crowing, lots of yelling, etc. SO nice to get away from that! And the night sky was amazing - I could actually see stars....LOTS of them.


I was welcomed in as part of the family immediately. The kids all speak pretty good English, and so communicating is fairly easy. I had young children sitting on me and close to me, and some playing with my hair. Nepal is not a touchy-feely culture at all, and I am a bit of a touchy-feely person, so that was great! I had some of the younger kids giving me Nepali lessons (and they were excellent teachers, I must say!). And I had a chance to spend time with the older kids (teens, up to age 20...about 10 of them) after the younger kids were in bed. I think there will be some good relationships developing there. The house parents have asked me to spend time with the young adults, mentoring them, etc, which I'm quite excited about. Speaking of the house parents, they're lovely! I was welcomed with open arms, and they said repeatedly that they don't want me to feel like a guest, because I am Family. How wonderful! I have also been told that I can call them anytime, day or night, if I have any problems here, and they will help me.

They have a bit of a farm...some pigs, chickens, ducks, large gardens, etc, which give them food, but also some income. Last night the mother pig delivered 12 piglets, of which 8 survived. The house father stayed outside (brr!) all night to help the pig, and make sure the piglets were okay. They will keep them for a month and then sell them.

The photos below show some of the younger kids with the house parents, and I am with the house mother in the other one.

I will probably go there most Saturday afternoons, spend the night, and come back to the city on Sunday mornings. I am really looking forward to spending more time there, and I think it will be a mutual blessing!